Friday, January 4, 2008

Who are the Lobsters in your life?

I read somewhere that lobsters in the captivity of a bucket will pull down anyone trying to escape the bucket. Instead of helping each other, they want everyone to stay in captivity.
I liken that to the people in our lives that make fun of our goals or try to sabotage our efforts. Dave Ramsey always says if broke people are making fun of you and the way you are taking control of your finances, you must be doing something right.

The biggest lobster in my life is my boss. Yesterday he asked me if the next thing I was going to do was join a cult. He knows I am an all or nothing type of person. He actually calls me an extremist. When I decide to do something, I do it all the way with all of my effort. I don’t do things halfway.

A year and a half ago, I started taking control of my finances using the things I learned from Dave Ramsey. Five months ago, I started taking control of my health by joining WW and working out. So instead of either praising me or giving my kudos for changing my life for the better, he has to play the lobster card and poke fun. His comments really don’t bother me because I know that I am doing the right thing for me and my family.


I think that is the key to dealing with lobsters. Realize that they are only insecure or jealous of the changes you are making. My boss is the only lobster I can think of in my life. I am fortunate to be surrounded by supportive friends and family. None of them are lobsters. If they were I’d have to boil them and dip them in butter

No comments: