Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Back to the Grind

Well, the four day weekends are over and while I did enjoy the extra time to play with the dogs and my husband……

I guess I was ready to come back to work. I found it difficult to workout at home. Here at work, the gym is there waiting for me and that is how I spend my lunch hour. No ifs ands or butts.
At home, the couch is so comfy, and it seems like so much more effort to put my shoes on to work out. Not to mention do you know how hard it is to exercise with seven dogs jumping all over you because they think you’ve invented a new game?

Today I started my new weight lifting regimen. Last Friday, one of my coworkers (Skeeter….yes that is his real name) that has bicep muscles as big as cannons,and an ass that you could bounce a quarter off (not that I look) spent his lunch hour showing me what I should be lifting and in what order. I told him I wanted to focus on my shoulders and back. After I was done, I thought maybe I’m not lifting enough weight as I didn’t have to grunt or anything to do the last few reps of each set. Not so, I’m lucky I can type this as the only thing I can move on my upper body without wincing in soreness are my fingers tips. I think it will be just the right amount. I do 3 sets of 10 reps on each move. I currently lift 15 pound hand weights.

When I finished lifting, I wanted to do a little cardio, so I hopped on the treadmill and thought I’d just do a quick 20 minutes. Well, my head must have been full of testosterone from lifting weights as I thought I would try my hand at running on the treadmill. Since I have lost 50 pounds, (yeah, I am going to stick that number in there wherever I can) I seem to have much more balance and control over my body. I never would have tried to run on the treadmill as I could barely walk without stumbling or hitting my gut on the handlebar. Today I did it. I did interval running. I would run for one minute at 4.5 and then I would walk for one minute at 3.3 my normal walking pace. It was great. The best time I’ve ever had on the treadmill to date. I can’t wait to do it tomorrow.

No comments: