Thursday, February 21, 2008

Dedication

Dedicate: to devote wholly and earnestly, as to some person or purpose

It takes a lot of dedication to not give it up, phone it in, or throw in the towel, so to speak. So to everyone that's stuck with their weigh loss efforts thru the ups and downs on the scale give yourself a big pat on the back. It would have been very easy to just sit on the couch with our pint of Ben and Jerry’s and watch reruns of Friends, but instead we are making good choices and getting in our activity.

I left for work this morning at about 5:30am. As I drove the temperature on the local bank said it was -7 degrees. Moments after I saw that temp, I met a jogger. A JOGGER……… running outside when it was -7 degrees. I think it was a man, who knows, they were so bundled up. Which gets me to the point of my post; Dedication. That person, we’ll call him “Mr. Fool” for short, is dedicated. Obviously the weather conditions (road blocks) mean nothing to this person. Mornings to Mr. Fool, are for running no matter what. I cannot ever imagine being that dedicated to running that I will risk my extremities to frostbite just to get in my run. The dedication this person has is amazing.

Do I have that kind of dedication to my weight loss and exercise? Am I really so wholly and earnestly devoted that I wouldn't let a stumbling block make me quit? I’d like to think so. I guess only time will tell. I’ve been at this for 8 months now and have been at a standstill as far as the scale goes for 8 weeks. I certainly would’ve thrown in the towel before now if I were my former weaker self. Instead, I turn to you for help and ideas and just keep plugging along.
Here's to dedication.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For me the words "commitment" and "focus" go along with dedication. I find that when having to make decisions like "Should I buy that whole tub of snickerdoodle cookies?" I ask myself first if the tub of cookies will help me stay focused on my reaching my weight goals. I still have the option to buy them so what's more important to me at that moment. In most cases, I can come to a compromise like buying one cookie versus a whole tub. That's keeping focused yet satisfying a craving.