Wednesday, December 5, 2007

You mean there is no Easy Button?

I’m not telling you it’s going to be easy – I’m telling you its going to be worth it. – Art Williams

Wow, this quote says it all. Every day, every minute, every second we make choices. Some choices are easy and automatic for us….we put on a pair of underwear (sorry Britney) or stop at a red light. Any choices involving food and exercise are life changing for me. I still worry that one wrong choice and I could fall off the wagon or go on a binge. It isn’t easy making the right choice, but it is essential to my mental and physical well being. I don’t want to go back to what I was. I like it here in happy land. I like that my chins no longer tough the tops of my shoulder (yep, there is the hint of a neck there now….)

Choosing to bundle up and go for a walk is one of those tough choices right now in Michigan. Choosing to skip the Christmas candy isle at Target is a tough choice. When I am ready to stop running and rest this pushes me on a few more steps. When I want to let the pedals on the Stairmaster fall to the floor, it is this quote that spurs me onward to the end.

No, none of this is easy. Making thousands of right choices each day is HARD. Easy is drinking full fat egg nog until you puke, easy is becoming one with the couch because you watch so many Christmas movies. This isn’t Staples. There is no Easy button for being healthy. Easy is giving up. Sticking with it is hard. I think ultimately you need to keep your eye on the prize. Why are we doing this? Do you really want it bad enough to make the tough choices that are going to pay off in the end? I do want it bad enough, and any time I feel soft, I go back to my “I Want” list to remind me of why I am making the hard choices.

No comments: