Thursday, December 13, 2007

Trying new foods at Restaurants

I did it! I did it! I did it! I actually tried something new at a restaurant! Last night I had dinner with my mentor and we went to a non-chain restaurant for dinner. I of course suggested Applebee’s or Subway…(joking….but not really). You know me, I like to stay safe. I hate the thought of coming home and needing to guess how many points I consumed. I set those feelings aside because I knew that it was much more important to spend time with a woman that has had a great influence in my life.

Anyway…..we went to a locally owned restaurant and they were having pasta night. You were able to choose what kind of pasta (no whole wheat) and what you wanted on it. It was also an all you can enjoy entrée. Not so safe. So I opened the menu and scanned for the word grilled on anything. Success! I found an entrée that was called the Cuban Chicken Mojo. Chicken with a Cuban flair with grilled veggies. I was feeling safe.

When the server placed the dish in front of me I thought I must have been a guest judge on Top Chef. (Love that show BTW) It had a black bean and rice cake bottom, then thick layers of grilled eggplant and zucchini along with a smattering of carrots and peppers. The next layer was a very juicy sliced chicken breast with Cuban spices. On top of the chicken were two enormous slices of grilled tomato. I was amazed at how wonderful the tomato was considering it is December in Michigan. It was garnished beautifully. The meal was great. Everything tasted amazing. The only thing I forgot to ask was to be sure they grilled the veggies without oil. They didn’t seem to have oil on them, but I should have asked just the same.
So there, I tried something new and enjoyed it and didn’t stress out when I got home about how many points I ate. I even had a Skinny Cow ice cream sandwich when I got home for dessert.

No comments: