Monday, December 3, 2007

My First 5K

Saturday was my very first 5K. I should have known only the hard core runners would be out for this event as it was only 9 degrees outside! As race time approached, more and more thin people wearing actual running gear arrived. There were even a couple of guys there wearing shorts!

I was really hoping a few more walkers would come to participate, but there were only 5 of us who were not runners. Oh well, I will admit I was desperately hoping I would not come in last, but someone told me about a T-shirt they read once at a race that said “DFL better than DFF” Dead fucking last better than Didn’t fucking finish. This is very true. I went and finished. Sure I wish I could have run more of it. I actually only ran a total of about 7 blocks.

It felt great. I did not come in last, but the closer I got to the finish, the less it mattered if I came in last. I came in! I finished. That is so much more than I could have expected of me just a few months ago.
Part of our registration included a free Santa hat to wear during the race. I’m sure it was quite a sight to see nearly one hundred people running down the middle of the street wearing Santa hats. After the race, we had our choice of a medal or gloves with the name of the running club imprinted on them. I chose the medal. Since it was my first race, I needed a medal. I hung it from the rear view mirror of my car for the time being.

No comments: