Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Cross Country Skiing

I was fortunate enough to get a used set of skis, poles and boots on my local Freecycle group. My mom and her husband have skied for years, but I had never tried it. I was interested in learning because I had heard it was a great workout and living in Michigan requires that you learn to enjoy outdoor winter sports if you want to stay in shape.
So Christmas eve morning we had just enough snow for Mark (my stepdad) to take me out for a lesson. It was not as hard as I thought it was. I will admit I did fall twice but was able to push my self back upright by using my newly aquired upper body strength and my poles. Not too shabby. The only thing that hurt were my thumbs from keeping a death grip on my poles to keep my balance.

I am thrilled to have a new fitness option this winter. It really is a great workout and I'm sure strengthens your core along with your thighs.

No comments: