Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Playing it Safe

I will admit I am a total creature of habit. I tend to eat the same foods day after day. I think I do it because it is safe. I know how many points to count for everything I eat. I prefer to eat something that I can read the nutritional info on so there is no guessing about how many points a serving is. At home, I like to keep the same foods prepared to eat for dinner though the week.

When I have to eat out, I try to always choose Subway. I’d be lost without Subway. I am so lucky to have a fast food restaurant to grab dinner from. When I am on the run, I can swing in there and have my choice of a few different subs that will only be 5 or 6 points (without cheese, of course). I do wish they were slightly easier to eat while driving, but beggars can’t be choosers. I am just glad that because of subway I don’t have a reason to stop at McDonalds, Burger King or Wendy’s. I realize that we can fit those items in if we really want them, but I don’t want to spend my precious points on those kinds of foods anymore.

Yesterday was my Grandmother’s funeral and at the funeral dinner I wouldn’t eat anything except a pickle. I fixed John a plate, but I just didn’t want to eat those items even though they were lovingly prepared by the church ladies. I ate a serving of my pre-measured trail mix and a banana that I had packed in my car while we drove back to my moms.

It’s interesting how many people pay attention to what you eat at functions. It’s almost like you have to eat something just to get people to stop asking if you are going to eat something. Back off already! If I want to eat I will. I don’t want to eat anything that may jeopardize my momentum. I think I am most scared of eating something and having it trigger a binge or a lapse into old eating habits. I’m sure the farther along I go in this journey the more comfortable I will be about not controlling the content of every morsel that touches my lips, but until then, I am going to be vigilant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also eat basically the same foods most of the time. If we look at food as fuel for our bodies and get the right amount of the food groups, why do we need all that other stuff? Maybe at some point I will feel differenly and be more open to other foods but for the time being, this is what is best for me.