Thursday, November 8, 2007

Fight the Voices

I wasn’t able to work out at lunch today. Being a creature of habit, since my schedule was thrown off I am now busy fighting with myself over staying after work to get my work out in. I just haven’t been able to get warm today regardless of running my little office heater, I am a bit tired from the time change and leaning to the side of melancholy and cranky because I had a kennel club meeting last night (more on why kennel club meetings upset me in another post).

So I am in the middle of rationalizing and thinking of excuses to not work out. I know that often missing one day leads to two which leads to“Oh I’ll start again next week and before you know it, it’ll be June and I will be back to square one. I thought I would let you all in on the conversation. Really it’s about as fascinating as a presidential debate, but I’ll share anyway.

“I deserve a day off from working out”. No, I deserve to have a healthy life and in order to get that, I need to exercise daily like it or not.
“I’ll take one of the dogs for a walk when I get home” No, I am already cold, I am not going to feel like bundling up and walking 3 or 4 miles in the near dark after I get into my nice warm house.
“My joints are a little achy from the new video I did yesterday so I should let my muscles rest.” No, actually getting up and moving will likely make my muscles feel better. I don’t have do a killer workout I just need move a little.

Don’t act like you don’t have these conversations on a daily basis with yourself. We all do. Unfortunately we let the pathetic side of us win, the side that wants to say no to social situations, the side of us that would rather sit home and eat Ben and Jerry’s than find the love of your life, the side that would rather watch reality TV, than let us get pleasure from our own reality adventure waiting for us in real life.

What it comes down to, is deciding what I really want for myself. Do I want to be filled with that self loathing that comes from binging and not exercising, never accomplishing my “I want” list? Or am I worth sucking it up, and getting on the treadmill and feeling better. I am worth it. You can check your watch at 3:30pm EST and know that my ass will be on the treadmill.

No comments: