Friday, November 2, 2007

No excuses: There is something for everyone


I workout a minimum of 5 days a week. I try for be active the other two days but always give myself a day off of a structured workout. So far I have been alternating workouts between the treadmill and Stairmaster. On Saturdays I walk with my friend Deb. I worry that eventually I may get bored from doing the same thing day in and day out, so I am mixing it up with some videos.

This week I spent some time on half dot com looking at their exercise videos. At home I need DVDs to work out to, but here at work, we only have a VCR, so I need the older versions of videos to bring here. Let me tell you, there are plenty of the older videos out there. I even saw one titled “Winning with Fen/Phen!” (Fen/Phen was a weight loss drug in the 80's that caused countless health problems and deaths)

For home, I just ordered both of the Biggest Loser fitness DVDs and the Carmen Electra aerobic striptease. Yes, a striptease DVD. I can get fit and learn a new skill that will thrill my husband! When I mentioned that DVD, he even said he’d be glad to pay for it out of his own allowance!
Selection is a bit more limited for VHS because they just don’t make them anymore. On the plus side, they are cheap to pick up on eBay or half dot com. I am serious that there is something for everyone out there. I saw gospel videos, plenty of Richard Simmons, Hula videos, Belly dancing videos, kick boxing, pilates, yoga, ballet. There are videos for people in wheelchairs or seniors. I did notice that Angela Lansbury and Dixie Carter both have their own series along with Florence Henderson and Shirley Jones. There were videos by Cindy Crawford, Anna Kornicova, the Playgirl series (I will be happy to buy this if it is a man leading the workout), I even found a Baywatch fitness video and one with OJ Simpson.

What I am getting at is that there is no excuse to be bored with your exercise routine. These videos don’t even require much of an investment. The majority of them are under $3 (many that I ordered today were only 75 cents!) and about $2 for S&H. So what if you get it and you hate it….you are only out $5 and you can pass it along to a friend that may love it.

So get out there and get shopping! Try something new and see what new skills you can pick up.

No comments: