Monday, November 12, 2007

Its time for the "Friends" Thanksgiving Marathon


Many TV sitcoms are known for their heartwarming Christmas episodes. Think back to the episode that Carol Brady loses her voice on Brady Bunch. Or remember the episode of Happy Days where Joni doesn’t want an artificial tree and every one ends up bringing her a real tree at the last minute? All great episodes where the over riding theme is good will toward men.

I am a huge fan of Friends. I have all 10 seasons on DVD and catch reruns whenever possible. Friends had good Christmas episodes for sure, but I think the Thanksgiving episodes are where they really shined.

So each November I drag out all 10 seasons out of the spare room. They of course are already conveniently marked as to which disc and which episode is the thanksgiving episode. I play each season’s episode (in order…of course) in the span of a weekend. Pity my poor husband who tolerates Friends, but does not enjoy these marathons. I love to watch the touch football game where the “Gellar Cup” is up for grabs and Joey and Chandler are fighting over the Danish flight attendant, or the one where Joey gets the turkey stuck on his head when he tries to scare Chandler or what about the one that guest stars Brad Pitt when he and Jennifer Aniston were still the perfect couple. All of these episodes are filled with fun and laughter.

Part of my love of Friends Thanksgiving episodes is tied to my very favorite Thanksgiving of all time. I went to New York for Thanksgiving and stayed with a friend and her family that lived in New York. I was at the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day parade in 1999. The parade I watched every year as a kid (‘til my dad turned on the football game) I got to witness first hand. Along with the parade was everything else that was wonderful about New York. Little Italy, where we ate a Puglia’s, standing at the top of the Empire State Building at night and looking down at the lights of the city. New York is amazing, and I guess watching the friends Thanksgiving episodes makes me feel like I still get to visit each year during the holiday.
So for me, Thanksgiving isn't about food, its about remembering one of the best experiences of my life.

To make this weight watchers related, be prepared to count your points this Thanksgiving. Don’t give up what you really want for what you want right now…..

No comments: