Friday, April 4, 2008

Small changes to a better life

I read Steph’s blog "Back in Skinny Jeans" daily. Every Tuesday she does Two Tiny Changes day. Every Tuesday she integrates two positive changes into her daily life.
I find that every time I make a small change, I think of Steph and know that I’ve make tiny changes that will add up to a big difference in my life. This doesn’t just apply to losing weight, this applies to every aspect of your life. The more gradual you make changes, the more likely you are to stick with them.

My new friend Stacey (that has lost well over 100 pounds!!!!) is what I lovingly call a “hippie mom”. She has been very willing to answer all my questions about eating healthy and living in a more sustainable manner. She was the one that told me about Trader Joe's and Whole Foods. But it wasn’t until a reader suggested to me cut out the processed foods to spark my weight loss a couple of months ago that I really started examining what I put in my body.

I’ve just always thought food was food and really only concerned myself with counting the calories or points. All food is safe and good to eat….right? I realize now that I have actually been living in this stupor. Fruit is fruit, milk is milk, and meat is meat. Wow, was I wrong. I have learned so much lately about pesticides, hormones, antibiotics, and cruel treatment of animals on commercial farms that I am ashamed I supported those things for so long.

I am also trying to make better choices for the earth; that includes being less wasteful, recycling more and using kinder products that will eventually end up in our water supply.
I plan to let you know what tiny changes I make in my life that will lead to this small person making an impact on the future of this earth. Yep, me. I can make a difference….with tiny changes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have I told you lately how wonderful you are? I love reading what you write and seeing how much you've grown and shrunk! You're amazing and I'm glad to call you a friend. - Stac