Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Back to Work

Well the holiday is over and it was jammed packed with activity. John and I went to a local minor league ball game on Thursday, went to see the Bay City Fireworks on Friday with his family, and I worked Sat and Sunday as a gate attendant for our local county parks.

I love working as a gate attendant in the summer. It is a nice, low pressure job and the people are usually in a great mood because they are heading out tubing or canoeing on the river, and I get caught up on my reading in between customers. The only drawback is sitting out in the heat sucking in the dust that’s kicked up by all the cars going through. It’s an excuse to relax (read: no laundry, no dishes, no sweeping) and read while making money. I took Monday off from work to recoup and try to get over this nasty summer cold. I slept all day (I was only awake 5 hours). I feel much better today.

Sitting in solitude gave me lots of time to examine my eating habits and refocus my attention on getting back on track and losing weight again. I’m going back to basics: Counting points, weighing and measuring everything and not eating something that I have to “guess” the points on. I really think part of my problems has stemmed from trying new things (carob covered cashews from the health food store), and since I don’t know how to count something I “forget” to count for it at all. I am certainly doing myself a disservice.
I haven’t lost any real weight in months and while on the one hand, I can partially blame this lack of loss on screwing up my metabolism, I have to blame myself for the last month of not counting everything and not eating as well as I could have.

What is that saying… it’s not how many times you get knocked down that matters, it’s how many times you get back up. I think being willing to honestly examine what I’ve been doing and admitting when I screw up, is what’s going to get me to my goal.

No comments: