Monday, October 29, 2007

Stairmaster: Friend or Foe?

The Stairmaster certainly started out as a foe.

The Stairmaster in the gym at my work has a minimum setting of 5 minutes. When I started working out, I would set it for the 5 minutes and then have to stop at 2 ½ minutes. Not much to crow about, but I stuck with it. Every day I got on that damn machine and went as long as I could. That was 12 weeks ago. Today I had a new personal best of 34 minutes.

I am very fortunate to have a gym right here at my work with filled with great equipment. We have a treadmill, recumbent and stationary bike, weight machines, punching bag, free weights and benches. Plus we have a TV/VCR with cable. I take my “lunch” from 12:30-1:30 M-F and that is my work out time. I generally take the weekends off from structured exercise. I try to be active, but I don’t require a workout of myself.

I am a believer in interval training. When on the treadmill, I will walk at my normal pace (3.0 mph) but alternate minutes between an incline of 3 and 9. I do something similar with the Stairmaster. I hop on for 17 minutes, then move on to crunches and weight lifting and then I go back to the Stairmaster for another 17 minutes. So I have gone from 2 ½ minutes to 34 minutes in 13 weeks. The Stairmaster is my best friend.

I sure wish they would buy and elliptical machine to work out. Maybe I will ask for that to be part of my Christmas bonus package.

No comments: