Monday, August 11, 2008

Trying Something New

The kettle bell gym I go to offers a program called Diet Doc. Now, if you go to the Diet Doc website, it’s filled with body builders and the like, but I like the science behind the plan and I have decided to try it. I don’t plan on quitting WW as of right now, because I do think the meetings and focusing on behavior management is very important and Diet Doc doesn’t focus on it as much as far as I can tell after being on the program a few days.

Diet Doc is about eating 5-8 small meals and only eating as much as your body will need for the next 3 hours. According to the plan, eating more than that causes your body to store the extra calories, and we all know, I don’t need to store anything for later! You are given a calorie goal and that translates into a protein/carb/fat goal for each meal and for the entire day. My goal is 130 grams of protein, 130 grams of carbohydrate and 30 grams of fat per day. It is really important for these goals to be evenly distributed between your meals (I am doing 6 meals per day).

It sounds complicated and it does take a bit to get in the mind set of what is a carb what is a protein (instead of counting calories, points and fiber)and how to combine them but once you get that part down then it is all about planning your meals. This does take a bit more planning. The other struggle is getting used to eating small meals. Dinner is not an occasion to eat a huge meal, dinner is simply your 6pm feeding and you would treat it just like your 3pm feeding. Little bit of protein, little bit of carb and a little bit of fat. I have to keep in mind that I have 6 opportunities to eat instead and no longer graze all day takes a bit of getting used to as well. I so want to get to a point in my life where food is not about enjoyment and it is just about fueling your body nothing else. I know that is a lofty goal, but it is something I can work toward.

I am encouraged and hopeful that this will help me continue to lose weight. I have been doing the program since Friday. So far I have met with my trainer twice for about an hour at a time, planning meals, and going over the program so you do get some face to face individual attention, which I think is important.

The pic is from 2002 of me in Beijing.

No comments: