Friday, June 20, 2008

Nutritional Information---Trustworthy?

I subscribe to daily emails from Hungrygirl.com. I love the different recipes and tips that I get in my email each morning. Last week they gave me bad news. A reader wrote in questioning the nutritional information on one of my very favorite Trader Joe’s product, the Grilled Chili Lime Chicken Burgers. I have these calculated to be two WW point per burger.

This reader thought they seemed awfully greasy considering the amount of calories and fat on the label. Hungry Girl went to work. They did their own independent testing on this product and it appears the nutritional information is way off and the burger is more likely four points! Incidentally, this isn’t the first time trader Joe’s has been wrong. I guess that a year ago they had to pull their banana chips off the market because of faulty nutritional information.

So I guess this makes me question the nutritionals on the things we eat. Who actually determines the number of calories in the serving of an item? Is there an independent organization that double checks all this? If not, what is to stop a manufacturer to falsify the information in order to appeal to a certain market of people? As hungry girl said in her response to the reader. If it seems too good to be true, it probably is. Food for thought.

1 comment:

meldawn97123 said...

Aw man, that's bad news! I *almost* bought these the last time I was in TJ's...

However, 4 points isn't horrible (although 2 points would be nicer).