Sunday, June 1, 2008

A couple of my favorite recipes

There are two dishes I always go back to. They are both good for you, and low in points. I thought I would share them from you.
This first recipe is called cabbage roll casserole. I got it out of one of the gooseberry patch cookbooks and then tweaked it a bit.

1 small-medium head of cabbage (chopped)
1 large onion (chopped)
1 pound ground meat (turkey breast, ground sirloin or venison)
1 28 oz can of tomatoe sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
1 cup instant brown rice (uncooked)

Brown the onion with the meat then mix in with all other ingredients. Put in 13 x 9 pan cover with aluminum foil and back for one and a half hours at 350 degrees. I have this figured to be about 3 points per cup. I think it is all considered core as well.


Taco soup or as I like to call it "6 can chili"

I got this recipe from WW and then changed it for out tastes. The WW recipe called for peppers and corn, only three cans of beans and more water. I like this thick.

1 pound lean ground meat (turkey breast, venison, ground sirloin)
1 large onion
1 can tomato sauce
2 cans diced tomatoes
4 cans of beans (great northern, pinto, black, and chili beans)
1 package taco seasoning
1 package dry ranch dressing

Simmer all these ingredients for an hour. It ends up being about 2 points for a cup. I'm not sure if this is core or not. I am not normally a fan of chili, but I think the ranch dressing in this makes it taste amazing. I usually throw a couple of TBS of FF sour cream on it instead of crackers.

No comments: