Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Car Troubles Stress Me Out

The bad news is my car is still not drivable after last month’s car accident. I thought I was close but when I took the new wheel to be aligned, they discovered another $500 worth of repairs that needed done (tie rods, bushings, ball joints, bolts). Man, I’m already $250 in to repairs and I still can’t drive it. We aren’t even talking about making it look decent by pulling out the crashed fender, or putting on a new side mirror. I’m just trying to get it back on the road.

I am very fortunate to have a back up vehicle. I have a 17 year old van that I have been driving. It has its own set of old age problems. Leaking oil, no air conditioner, and a back window that is missing two of the four bolts that hold it on to the door.

The good news is that I am not stress eating. Car troubles have always really freaked me out and made me cry. Yes, I cry when I have car problems. I think it’s that helpless, at the mercy of the mechanic feeling that makes me cry and want to eat. Believe me, I’ve thought about it.

When I got the call about the additional $500 tie rods and other paraphernalia, I almost grabbed quarters and headed for the ding dongs in the vending machine. But I was able to stop and ask myself, what will that really accomplish? Yes the waxy chocolate and sugar laden filling will taste good as I eat them in a total of four bites, but then what. I will still need more car repairs and then I’ll know that I’ve done something that will start a terrible cycle.
I am really pleased that I have been able to talk myself down from the ledge and I think it shows that I am getting stronger and even restructuring my brain a bit.

No comments: